Friday, October 31, 2014

Midnight at the Oasis

After rearrange my sewing room I decided it was time to get back
to working on my Midnight at the Oasis quilt, the hubster 
gave it to me for Christmas last year.

this is where I was up to when I had to put it away due to other
commitments, and it sat on my sewing chair all weekend waiting
for the sew-jo to strike



I started with one little churn dash block on Tuesday afternoon


which quickly grew into 7 little churn dash blocks by
Tuesday night 


they are so sweet and little, 5.5" unfinished



last night I had 46 of the 52 needed made, today I am hoping 
to get those final 6 made.

This weekend my quilting group is holding a quilt show,
it is also my little towns annual Whale Festival, so here is my
pile of quilts ready for me to take down for some show & tell.



To be honest I am not sure I am a good fit for the group, I am the youngest,
the oldest is almost 90, its a very eclectic mix of people, so I think after
this weekend I might just hang  up my hat, wish them well and leave.

I need to get out, it's an exclusive club that you are allowed to join
but only if they 'approve' of you and what you are doing!!! Just sewing
hexagons without a plan in mind is not acceptable
and for that you will not be invited back! Yes, that has 
happened, true story

I need to be involved with a group of like minded women, who have a laugh
and a good time, who are supportive and welcoming and are 
pleased to have newcomers join. 

I need to move towns to find that.

*Sigh*

So I have a question for you

If you are a member of a social quilting group or a quid
do you have any expectations when you join??





9 comments:

  1. You are "almost" making me want to go and dig out my quilt and work on it again ...... almost! Did you sign up for Jen Kingwells new Mystery BOM?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't sign up for her mystery quilt will have to see if there are still places available, I have to many BOMs in progress, Lancaster, Wagon Wheels, Bring me flowers etc etc.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Sharon - almost making me want to keep going on those little churn dashes... they're just so fiddly and take time if you want to mix up your fabrics. I have MATO burnout I think...

    It's unfortunate that you don't have a supportive local group. I like being a member of Canberra Quilters, and enjoy my time when I go to meetings, etc. but I find it easier to share my quilting passion online. I'm a hermit at heart so the internet allows me to have the best of both worlds. I'm sure you'll come to find a great group of people - maybe we should organise a NSW instabee meet up bi-monthly to help everyone connect offline. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those churn dash blocks are very addictive Angie, I am a bit like you in the hermit stakes, I leave home to go to the supermarket or the post office & that's pretty much it. I am all for a quilty-Insta meet up, any excuse to visit Canberra and go shopping and I will be there xx

      Delete
  3. Very cute little churn dash blocks. I am also without group, largely due to work commitments, but I find it is far more about attitude than age. Be your own group....and we will be your virtual group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey I thought I was here in your virtual group..............I don't have a quilt group as such..........I don't think the age ever matters as I mix with all ages but it is the attitude of the group..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my virtual quilting group Chooky, but sometimes it would be nice to sit down with someone who 'gets you' and is on the same page xx

      Delete
  5. Hello Kate, Midnight at the Oasis looks amazing.Cant wait to see what else you will do with it. The churn dash are lovely little blocks and I have never made any as yet but I can see them being addictive.I have been in a group of quilting friends for 10 years meeting every week sometimes I think we chat more than sew. All different ages doing our own projects, lots of coffee and laughter. I love my virtual group of friends also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can always come back here..... :)
    We miss you!

    ReplyDelete