Monday, December 10, 2012

Life returns to normal

I have spent the last week biting my tongue
trying hard to be the good daughter in law
and its been very very hard.
no really its been VERY VERY HARD

I  had to listen to her criticise my son,
(my child who is related to her only by marriage)
tell me I have gained quite a bit of weight
(does she not think I know)
have a dig at my husband, her son which
really didn't go down well with me and 
that all came out on day 1

tell us the same stories that we have
had to listen to for the past 19 years, its
like she is on constant repeat

interrupt  my father in law and correct him
every time he opened his mouth to say something
then argue with him when he tried to put her
in his place, I really wanted to tell her to 
just shut the f**k up and let him talk
but my parents raised me better than that

I listened to her decide that my husband who has
washed up the pots and pans after dinner for the past
19 years, shouldn't have to do that, after all

'he goes to work everyday and I don't'
what the......

I have fed them, washed & ironed their clothes
only to be treated like crap in my own home.

Her parting words to me today were,

'its nice to see your housekeeping has improved'

it took all my might not to say what I thought.

Plus the last time she spent any significant time with us was when 
I had 3 little girls under 5 at home 24/7, we had a house
of toys spread from 1 end to the other

Well I am pleased to say my free loading in laws have left,
our life is returning to normal and I can again sew my
days away without her making her snide remarks
within hearing.

and I am so pleased that my mum and dad arrive in 12 days
and they don't make snide comments, they are
always happy to help out, and no doubt dad and I will
come to blows over just who is going to
hang out all the washing and then who is actually going to
iron all that washing.......I will let him win the ironing
battle but don't tell him :)

Really some people just have no tact or class.

Sewing wise 
I have 4 bon bons to make for the girlies teachers
Christmas gifts this week and I will put the final touch 
to my last gift for the Angels Swap tomorrow, 

I have 14 berries to stitch down on the final
 applique block for mums quilt, then I will 
start the 3 blocks I can sew on the machine and
the 4 blocks that need to be hand sewn, when she
is here we will sort out her border triangles and I can
start stitching. I am getting there slowly but surely

Mum has 2 quilts heading off to be custom
quilted then they will be sent here for me to do the bindings
and I will send them home to her.

I am hoping to get some sewing in for myself over the next
couple of months but Gumdrops quilts take 
priority at the moment and throw Christmas into the
mix and I am tired just thinking about it all :)












8 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for blogger - it has given you the chance to vent otherwise I think you just might 'blow'.
    I often want to tell people exactly what I think but like you - was brought up'proper'!
    Vent all you need sweetie and enjoy the visit with your parents.
    hugs
    Miche'le

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, bet you are hoping their next visit is a long way off. Can't understand why some people have to be so negative instead of just enjoying time with their family while they still can. Wonderful that your parents will be there with you soon. Have a great Xmas with your family. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so grateful that I don't have in laws like that! And by biting your tongue you show that you are a credit to your parents and how they raised you. Now you have vented, let go of the negativity and enjoy the festive season and it's great that your mum and dad are coming up. I am looking forward to seeing your mums quilt. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with Sharon Kate and i love my 12" mini so much,thankyou.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm, nasty! Forget the past and look to the future - hopefully with loved and loving ones!
    Hugs- Lurline.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!! - Your poor tongue. You did a great job keeping it together. Have a wonderful time with your parents xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate to what you have said. It must be Mother in laws.

    When I mention that he goes and sees her his reply I dont want to go there and listen to her.

    Keep smiling and remember they have gone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SOunds like we have similar MILs. YEs bite my tongue only because how I have been brought up - but ha ha dh hears it all!

    ReplyDelete